BETSID is a leading independent betting operation in the North West, with a portfolio that now includes six properties, as well as in-stadium betting at major sporting venues, telephone betting and a leading website provision.
During the initial product development phase, GDR worked with BETSID developers to undertake an in-depth competitor analysis, as well as creating a detailed business case and brief.
With highstreets dominated by the major chains (there are over 40 betting shops owned by the ‘big four’ in Blackpool alone), it was crucial to the success of the start-up that we were able to identify what services an independent chain was able to offer that would draw in customers that were looking for something different.
Research and analysis focused on:
- Researching the practicalities of building a new, independent bookmaker in West Lancashire
- Comprehensive competitor analysis to identify ‘gaps in the market’
- Creating a detailed business case and brief
- Specialist Knowledge – Our research and business case development was spearheaded by a dedicated account manager with extensive, first-hand experience of the betting industry.
- Extensive Research – Our team conducted an in-depth analysis of both the industry landscape and changes in legislation across the UK, as well as focused research into the local market, including far-reaching online data gathering and site visits to competing shops.
- Product Development – Based on our analysis, we developed strategic recommendations for market leading technology, ideally suited to the different environments where the Betsid business would operate.
- Reduced Costs – After initially considering taking over an existing independent shop to obtain expertise and an operating licence, our research enabled them to avoid this expense by guiding them through an application for a fresh licence from the Gambling Commission.
- Market-Leading Products – By consulting with former betting shop staff and other figures from the gambling industry, as well as customers, we were able to identify key products that weren’t offered by the bigger chains. Amongst other innovative products, they were one of the first bookmakers in the country to use tablet-based terminals to allow staff to process bets on the spot for VIP and corporate guests at football grounds.
- Rapid Growth – From a complete start-up, Betsid expanded rapidly in the first year, opening up three shops, as well as on-course betting at Preston North End’s stadium and a telephone betting provision. They have continued to expand since, acquiring further properties in Preston, Blackpool and Chorley.